Top Navigation Bar

Quote About Dandelions

"You fight dandelions all weekend, and late Monday afternoon there they are, pert as all get out, in full and gorgeous bloom, pretty as can be, thriving as only dandelions can in the face of adversity."

-- Hal Borland

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Sheet Dresses

***Apologies in advance for the yucky photo quality; my phone didn't want to cooperate and my camera is off with my aunt taking photos of whales.***

I will be working at a local farmers market this weekend, and - in case you've never been to a farmers market - this means that I will be outside, in the heat. I love the South, I love the Summer, but I don't love being sweaty. Eww. 

I also am planning on sewing up a dress out of some linen fabric I bought a year ago. But I wanted to make a test dress first, so I used a thrift-store sheet, a dress I already owned, and a few hours out of the morning.

I laid my dress out on some newspaper and traced the rough shape around it.



Then I cut the pattern out.



I used the french-seam method and sewed the front and back together. Next I pleated the front and back so the neckline wouldn't be huge. Then I made binding from the leftover fabric and bound all of my raw edges.





It kinda looks like a maternity dress at this point. But that's alright, because the next thing I did was to whip out a matching belt!



At a later date I'll add waistband elastic, but for this weekend, the belt will be A-OK. 






Before I make the linen version, I'll be modifying the pattern by adding bust darts to the front, narrowing the sleeves, and taking out some of the excess fabric.

I took the time to document another dress I made a few weeks ago. I was testing out a pattern I bought - it was a failure. You can't tell from the photos, but this dress does.not.fit. It has inspired me, however, to just buckle down and create a basic pattern from my own measurements so that I don't have to keep dealing with ill-fitting patterns. It will make for less-stressful sewing.





I'll leave you with the happier images of "fluffy doggy", as he's been nicknamed:






♥ Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment