Top Navigation Bar

Quote About Dandelions

"You fight dandelions all weekend, and late Monday afternoon there they are, pert as all get out, in full and gorgeous bloom, pretty as can be, thriving as only dandelions can in the face of adversity."

-- Hal Borland

Monday, July 14, 2014

What's Your Style?

I like being feminine. I mean, have you seen this blog? It's so floral it scares away any and all y-chromosome readers. Just kidding, but the girly part of me is very strong. For years now, my grandmother has been bringing me magazines and asking me to point out what "my style" is. And for the life of me, I don't know how to answer that. Because I am a mixture of styles due to so many different influences growing up. My mother describes her decorating style as "secondhand attic", meaning that she re-purposes older items or things that she finds at secondhand stores. My mother's mother is classically southern, with a dash of big city, my father's mother is classically southern with a dollop of rural-country. Then we have the artists of the family who like modern art jumbled up with classical pieces. 

So where does that leave me?

I like breakfast with pretty flowers:
(Also, baked pancakes are the bomb, y'all)




 I like clean and folded laundry in girly colors:


I like vintage sheet dresses, worn with sparkly silver sandals:


But as much as I enjoy being very feminine, I don't think homes should be super girly. I love mixtures of masculine and feminine items in rooms. I've been in homes so feminine I could hardly breathe, and on the flip side, I've been in homes with so much testosterone that I thought I'd need to break out my crochet hooks and make a doily. (Actually, I am not a doily fan at all, but you get where I'm coming from.) 

I like blended homes, you might say. 

Shelves


Take, for example, this shelf. If I owned it, I'd probably have industrial bar stools sitting on either side to balance it out. 

Bar Stools

And if I owned this couch, I'd toss on both floral and plaid (gasp) pillows:
Leather Couch

Pillows
Floral Pillow
I'd love a home with pretty napping spots


And I'd love to be all grown up and have a formal master bathroom:

Formal Bathroom


So basically, I like everything, but I'm picky, and I'm still stuck on answering my grandmother's question.
I assume that 
"modern/vintage/rustic/chic/elegant/classic/country/Southern/big city/British/French Country"
doesn't exactly cut it. 

Oh well. 

If you had to pick a style, could you? If not, could you create a name for your style?

No comments:

Post a Comment